Saturday, January 13, 2007

Big Bad Week



It just shows to go ya that even published writers have bad weeks.

Rejection is still part of the lexicon, even if you've had a previous good years and sold four different stories -like me. This week I've had to deal with two rejection - three if you count the fact that the agent who rejected me actually had two manuscripts though she only read one, and sent the other back without even commenting on it. Is that allowed? Or is it just me to think it's incredibly rude. Whatever. Water under the bridge.

And what does it mean when you're characters aren't engaging anyways? Is that a blanket term for 'you suck' or is it...'I just don't like this story but I can't figure out what else to say.' - The reason I say that is because anyone who's ever read my work knows I'm the queen of deep POV. How can you not engage your reader if you're in deep POV? Granted, I've read some stories from my library or purchased at bookstores that I totally couldn't get into the character. Take the one I read last night for instance - Please take it... no, really get it out of my site I wanted to gag!!!

Now, I'll be the first person in the world to admit, I have some work to do on craft. We all do...even the big players don't hit home runs everytime...but Jesus in June people, when I'm holding a book in my hand and the dialogue is stilted, the ideas redundant to where I'm thinking 'broken record' and most of the time deep POV is a concept limited to Proctologists, then hey...how did they manage to have someone say..."Yes, these characters and situations engage me!" Not. Liar.

The most amazing thing was that the words..."New York Times Best Selling Author" appeared on the cover. I gotta shake my head over those words. But in all fairness, maybe it wasn't the best effort by that particular author. It happens. (Refer back to my 'hitting out of the park' comment.) - I'll give the author another try, but this time as a library book.

Enough rant about others, this is my blog after all and is about me.

So, I got on my soapbox and started yelling. Well, actually complaining to the girls in the breakroom at work - most of whom have read my novella, or at least the dirty parts. - I think they sympathized with me, but then probably didn't really understand the passion behind my disappointment and anger.

My crit partners are very understanding and tell me to get back on the horse. Oh, I am friends. I am. I've just sent off another submission to the same publisher who dissed me earlier in the week. Different editor, different project, so hopefully this one will be a go. - As you see, I'm a big believer in self flagellation. (Get those cat 'o nine tails ready folks). And as you have probably already noted, I do believe in giving authors another chance, because I know the pitfalls of writing consistant. It's actually statisically impossible to write projects everytime that everyone will embrace. Human nature doesn't allow for that. - Ok, well, I can't prove that scientifically, but it's probably true.

K, I'm going to lick my wounds and finish some of my other stories and submit them. It's time for a total bombastic cataclysmic over-the-top submission avalanche.

-Kat

2 comments:

Two Voices Publishing said...

Don't let the turkeys get you down. All you can do is keep submitting. Good week, bad week. Good month, bad month. Good year...bad year...yikes! It's a never ending cycle.

Anonymous said...

Get off the soapbox, dry your eyes and get back to the hunt and pecker of the keyboard. We all know that you got the gift of gab! All I can say is "GO MEER!"